The channels are clear... Erm... Where is everybody?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The channels are clear... Erm... Where is everybody?

Post  luvtochat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 am

Hi y'all. Have just decided to resurrect an ancient form of communication, that is other than msn, farcebook, myspace, texting, picture messages, twitter, I could go on and on. Yep. Was surfing, saw a raft of shiny new radios and just had to get one.

Day one, oooh the channels are very clear. Lets check triple 5, Lovely and clear, but hold on a minute, this is spooky. In the 70's it was proper illegal yet there were plenty of people, but now its all prim and proper, its, well, it seems just dead.

Am based in the Newark area and have been listening out now for a week and it's as dead as Monty Python's parrot.

Next step is to get a larger mobile antenna and sit on the top of a hill and see if any of the other towns have any activity, well, when its warm enough to sit in a car for more than half an hour that is.

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions on this? Other than I need to get a bigger antenna or just get with the times and get a farcebook account?

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  luvtochat on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:52 am

Following in from my introductory rant, I saw the rarest of animals only yesterday. A car, with cb antenna on top navigating a roundabout in Newark. Yep, a live one!

Now what was interesting for me was the antenna, it was one of those (sold everywhere) with a large floppy spring coil. I was wondering about those as I need a new antenna, but watching what looked like a slinky with a wire on top flopping about loosely on top almost clouting the roof of the car. Nope. I will pass on that even if they do perform better than any others (do they)?

I was going to ask what is the best mobile antenna out there, but I do like DV-27's. Stick in the mud? Me?

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post  the wildcamper on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:50 am

Welcome to the site luvtochat

Like you I came back online recently, I'm near Kirkby in Ashfield and like you have found it quieter than it was all those years ago although we do have a handful online locally. We can only hope it improves.

the wildcamper

Back to top Go down

Re: The channels are clear... Erm... Where is everybody?

Post  CookieMonster on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

Just bought a new rig after being down for a considerable time, and like yourself i am finding it hard to find anyone to talk to .. i am mobile around the sleaford area and homebased in Ruskington. Guess i am going to have to move my Twig a little higher then maybe if i am lucky i will be able to reach you good buddy's in Newark.

CookieMonster

Back to top Go down

Last one before I join the general room

Post  luvtochat on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. Well it may be quiet on the airwaves, computers have indeed made their impact on radio, BUT you can't beat a proper chat.

Computers definitely have their use (this chat is on, erm, a computer).... I have also downloaded quite a nice frequency listing, where in the past you had to buy one or painstakingly write it out by hand.

Right thats me.

Off to the general chat rooms now. See you al there or better still, online!

D.

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Yep... It's almost dead

Post  luvtochat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Thought I had better update my own ramblings.

Saturday afternoon, did a run from Newark through to Leicester and back, made various call outs on 19 UK FM. Finally got ONE solitary contact whilst I parked up at services on Junction 21A M1 northbound.

One, solitary contact....

Yet, radios are selling like hotcakes when you talk to suppliers. New radios are being produced all the time. So where on earth is everyone?

I even tried the old trick of having the good lady make a few shouts, thats used to draw in a contact or two in days gone by, but not a sniff.

My fear is if the frequencies don't get used, the government will reallocate the frequencies and thats it.

Rant over.

What a Face

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Post  Termite on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:49 pm

people are out there, but what you do tend to hear is a CB running power, if you don't have 50w or more to compete you may as well give up.

but to only hear one sole, Nottingham is always busy, leicester has a few on 19 all day, so it must have been a bad time..

the the lady breaker trick don't work now days.. Smile
Termite

http://ukcb.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Now heres a thing

Post  luvtochat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Termite, thanks for the info.

Well, this week, the company I work for has sent me to sunny Poland to do a bit of work. Sunny, well it's minus 7.... There are CB's everywhere! Mainly mobile and lots of taxis have them. Nearly all the standard small sized ones (midlands etc). There is a supermarket here, similar in size to a large asda and in the electronics section next to the dab radios are about 12 different cb radios! Nothingtasty and no sign of ssb equipment, but lots of them are out there and in daily use.

So it may be quiet in the UK but on the continent, it's BIG. I expect when skip conditions kick in, we should get a lot of contacts from the continent, germany poland, czech etc...

Asking a colleague, one of the main uses is to warn each other of mobile speed traps and other police checkpoints.

Dave.

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigma 1 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:27 am

Had a ride out newark way a few wk ago to try a twig out on my car with my linear just out of curiosity to see how far mark in notts (termite)could get me till, nearly made it to lincoln but could still hear mark but as you said heard no other breakers from newark way,on the plus side buy a linear an ya should be able to chat with notts breakers(should you want to)-most run a bit of power
Sigma 1

Back to top Go down

A little update for anyone stillreading

Post  luvtochat on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies. Took a trip out to the Hull area on a weeknight and there were a fair few contacts all the way! Have since invested in a receiver (FGR 7700) and have noticed activity is quite well spread across the frequencies.

Yesterday I picked up a fair bit in the Newark area, but seeing as my Polish is non-existant, I decided not to break in. Nope, not skip, locals. :-)

Activity seems to be picking up on triple 7, but nothing to shout about <groan>....

luvtochat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top